Saturday, September 30, 2017

Genealogy/DNA Testing

It's been a while since I posted anything as I have been quite intently busy with my genealogy research, back in 2015 I had my dna tested via Ancestry DNA which in itself proved rather interesting.

My results were:
Great Britain 45%
Ireland 30%
Europe East 14%
Scandinavia 6%
Finland/Northwest Russia 1%
Europe West < 1%
Italy/Greece < 1%
Asia Central < 1%
Mali < 1%

The Irish was a bit higher than I expected, and then all those minor % proved to be rather interesting, I have even been able to work out who the Italian culprit's were.

I was then able to check out My Heritage DNA and they were able to break things down further:

Irish, Scottish, and Welsh 41.4%
Scandinavian 19.0%
English 18.7%
East European 13.8%
Italian 3.1%
West Asia 2.3%
Iberian 1.7%

No surprises there with the Iberian, research tells me that people who can trace their roots to Cornwall are very likely to be have traces of Iberian dna - and that I am able to do with Cornish roots from both my parents. Given that these dna tests are done over different periods of time and with different formula's one can expect the results to be different.

I then checked in with Family Tree DNA their basic results told me:

British Isles 41%
West and Central Europe 25%
East Europe 22%
Scandinavia 12%
South Central Asia < 2%

I then decided to check out their ancient origins results for myself and this is what it gave me:

Hunter-Gatherer 44%
Farmer 41%
Metal Age Invader 15%

All rather resourceful people, which is pretty much what I have discovered in my research - I come from people who were survivors and definitely resourceful people - some of them too much for their own good!

I have had fun connecting up with cousins of varying degrees from places that I didn't dream of having cousins, and in some cases locations that I never dreamed I had ancestors

I definitely recommed to any of those people out there that are stuck with their research to invest in a dna test and link yourself up to people who may just be sitting their hoping for the same breakthrus that you are.....and who knows? like myself and my mother (yes I managed to convince her into testing as well) you may get some rather interesting surprising (and close) dna matches :)

No comments:

Post a Comment