Friday, April 30, 2010

David Austin - ? (2010)

David Austin - "?"
(Released - 2010)
Produced by David Austin

2010 see's the release of a new David Austin album, which we're not yet sure what the title of the album is, but we're able to confirm the following tracks will be appearing on the album:

1. Recover (D.Austin, R.Anderson)
2. Slave To Reality (D.Austin, R.Anderson)
3. Cry Freedom (D.Austin, R.Anderson)
4. Over The Edge (D.Austin, R.Anderson, L.Schouten)
5. Forever Yours (D.Austin, R.Anderson)

Notes by Richard Anderson:
It's pleasing to me that these old tunes of ours are finally going to see the light of day on an album release. Originally we wrote 4 out of the 5 of our co-writes for a project that we had going called A.S.A (Austin, Szkup, Anderson or Anderson, Szkup, Austin) - but as we were working on several other projects at the time, we were unable to commit to the project fulltime. Both Chris and myself felt that we were heading in a different direction songwise, but nonetheless there was some hope that oneday these songs would be revisited in some form. In 2009, David mooted to me the idea that he wanted to re-work some of our collaborations for his next solo album, which I was all for.

"Recover" was concieved a lullby type thing, I remember sending David a file of me singing it without any music - on the initial demo we worked up both our voices were used to a remarkable effect, remembering at the time I wasn't actively recording anything.

"Slave To Reality" was something altogether different and I remember quite liking the hook, it could almost have been rocked up a bit if the arrangement had've been thought of at the time.

"Cry Freedom" was another unusual thing, in that it was the closest thing that I had ever conconcted to a country song. Once again this song was concieved as a vocal thing that David put the music to. I always had a bit of a soft spot for this tune for some reason.

"Over The Edge" has seen itself put through a few guises, although what will be on this album will be a completely new version of this track. On the original demo, both myself and my friend Leon (who co-wrote the lyric - although he didn't know it at the time I took bits and pieces of conversational pieces and used them in several different songs that will appear on a few different projects), he and I did a backing vocal session with David when we finally met in person for the first time (see attached picture for evidence of this actually happening) - however those backing vocals don't appear on this version, sorry Leon we all end up on the cutting room floor eventually.



"Forever Yours" is a track that David wrote but had a bit of a hard time finishing the lyric, so he asked me to contribute...it's quite a mushy lyric really, but at the time I meant what I wrote. Originally this song appeared on the original version of his debut album "A Changing Sky" in 2001, and it's re-release in 2003. But David felt that it wasn't really in keeping with the rest of the tracks on his 2009 re-release (a double album re-release accompanied by his second solo album "The Face Wall"). What has transpired now is that this is a completely new arrangement.

No comments:

Post a Comment